Date: 18/10/2022 & 19/10/2022
Creating new opportunities for an all-inclusive and level playing field in Ujoelen Community in Ekpoma, Edo State
The Commonwealth Scholars and Fellows Alumni Association Nigeria (COSFAN) is organising a two-day community engagement activity on the topic, ‘Developing Girls’ Participation in Sports’ in Ekpoma, Edo State.
In many countries, sport is considered a male activity and this perception is also held in rural Nigerian cultures. The objective of this activity is to highlight the gap in sport opportunities for girls in rural Nigeria and attain gender equality, inclusion and opportunities in sport through football.
Expected outcomes of the activity include:
- Increased participation amongst girls in organised sport at all levels through the presence of a strong and supportive school, community and sport movement
- Behavioural and attitudinal change of community leadership towards girls in sport
See the ‘Agenda’ for more details on the two-day activity.
If you are a Commonwealth Alumnus from Nigeria and would like to attend this event, please contact Roseline Obadiuno at Roseline.Obadiuno@ng.britishcouncil.org
Tuesday 18 October 2022
Lecture series on the following topics:
- Overcoming the problems and challenges of girls’ participation in sporting activities at the primary school level
- The role of the home and school environment in the promotion of girls in sport careers
- Strategies to support and create new sporting opportunities post-COVID
Wednesday 19 October 2022
- Football match between Ujoelen Primary School, Ekpoma and University Staff School, Ujoelen
To be confirmed